52 PORTRAITS | INTRO

Yesterday was my 29th birthday and I decided to treat and challenge myself by embarking on my first year long project! 
I am going to be taking Vanessa's 52 portraits class

If you don't know about this class, a couple of years ago Vanessa created a year long project for herself in her first year of being 40 - to take a self portrait each week. Each portrait had a theme, or context from her life. It was a year long snapshot of where she was at 40 - all that was happening then, had come before and may come in the future. It was so inspiring to see and I was a keen follower, waiting for each new portrait every weekend like the Instagram stalker I am. 

Last year, Vanessa turned this into a course through Get Messy Art Journal and I said to myself "I can do that! I'm gonna do that!". I thought it would be an interesting way to document the last year of being in my twenties. A way to challenge my creativity and to do a little soul searching too.


I have a lot of ideas about how to make my portraits interesting and personal. How to push my boundaries and visualize my thoughts. I hope that I can express myself accurately through this art form and that I grow in confidence as well as skill over the next year. 


I am going to follow Vanessa by uploading a new portrait each week to Instagram, under the tag #julias52portraits and I will do a monthly roundup here, on my blog.

I also have a partner in crime and accountability - Caylee is also taking the course to celebrate her final year of being a 20 something. Her portraits will be less shared on the internet but it feels so nice to know someone else is doing this with me!


AHH. Wish me luck!

-------------------------------------------------------

"52 portraits is a photography course in self discovery by Vanessa and is hosted through Get Messy Art Journal whom I am an affiliate for. The course is a year long journey in using photography and words to turn your reflection inward and capture who you are at this phase in your life. Learn more and join the course here"

2 comments